Thursday, August 27, 2009

I'm going to need more detail with that.

We're working on a project to help students with the basic elements of fiction right now. I'd completely forgotten that this kind of thing was ever necessary in school. You mean there was a time that someone had to explain to me what the word "plot" meant? Crazy.

To help get all the elements down, we're having students come up with the story of a superhero, a villain, and the conflict between them. Today was superhero day. Some of my students went to town, coming up with all sorts of crazy superhero power ideas from the conventional ("Can I have EVERY superhero power?!"/"Yes. As long as you have a weakness.") to the insane ("My power is that I can whistle and then boys come flying toward me!")

So ultra-annoyed-and-talks-too-much-student comes up to me to check off his super hero. Very defiantly, said student has decided to try and sabotage my project by coming up with a lame idea so that I can get mad and justify a reaction. Super power? Bending knees. I read through it and very kindly (and obnoxiously) said "I've never thought about that being a super power before. I think that's very creative. Now I'm going to need more detail from you in these two boxes. . . "

Student looked at me like I'd just pulled a rug out. It was pretty fantastic. Ultra-annoying student? 0. Me? 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment