Friday, March 12, 2010

The Seer

I laugh sometimes at the ridiculous things students do for attention. I recognize, in all seriousness, that many of these students are not getting the attention they so desperately need, but sometimes I just wonder. One particular student I have has, in the last month, done the following:
  • Burst into tears over simple assignments that don't have a right or wrong answer, they're just asking for opinions (explanation: "I'm just so tired!")
  • Worn an ace bandage over a pair of jeans. When asked why the bandage was being worn, I was told that it was for a bruise. (?!) Next day the bandage was on again. Same leg, different location. By afternoon when said student comes to my class, the bandage had switched legs. (Snort.)
  • Wrote the following: "I see the future in my dreams. It makes it easier for me to know where I should and shouldn't go." (Seeing the future, eh? Seriously? Hook me up with that sort of gift. Might come in handy.)

Yes. This student is a special sort of soul whom I occasionally ache for and mostly just try not to laugh at. Poor thing.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I was accused of being a ninth grader this week after a performance of the school play I helped to direct. I read the opening announcements for the show - things about not getting into the aisles or taking pictures or being annoying. After the show, a very kind woman pulled me aside and said in the "I'm talking to a very young, naive child who just went to the potty by herself" voice that I hate so much: "You did such a good job reading the announcements!"

"Thank you," I said with a pleasant smile that hopefully masked my annoyance. "Did you enjoy the show?"

"Oh yes. Were you in it too?"

"No, I directed it."

"Oh! Are you in ninth grade?"

"No. I'm a teacher."

I recognize that I look several years younger than I am, but that's knocking nearly ten years off of my age. No wonder I'm rarely taken seriously unless I'm overly assertive.

Last anecdote:

A few of my girls were talking this week about how they are betrothed. I'm assuming it was a joke, but I didn't hear the whole conversation. I do, however, clearly remember hearing "You're betrothed too?! We're like sisters!"

?!

No comments:

Post a Comment